from Apr 03-09, 2023
The details on how to eat and drink are below, as well as, scriptures to read, pray and meditate on throughout the fast. As a church operating in unity we are fasting and praying:
- over our first fruit seed,
- for our family,
- for physical health, and
- for the future of our children
“But this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting” ~ Matt 17:21
HOW WE FAST
NO MEAT | NO WHEAT | NO SWEET
On this modified Daniel Fast there is NO MEAT ⚓️ NO WHEAT ⚓️ NO SWEET. But here are the foods that you can eat.
These can be fresh, frozen, dried, juiced or canned. Fruits include but not limited to apples, apricots, bananas, blackberries, boysenberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, cherries, cranberries, figs, grapefruit, grapes, guava, honeydew melon, kiwi, lemons, limes, mangoes, nectarines, oranges, papayas, peaches, pears, pineapples, plums, prunes, raisins, raspberries, strawberries, tangelos, tangerines and watermelon.
These can be fresh, frozen, dried, juiced or canned. Vegetables include but not limited to artichokes, asparagus, beets, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chili peppers, collard greens, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, garlic, ginger root, kale, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, mustard greens, okra, onions, parsley, potatoes, radishes, rutabagas, scallions, spinach, sprouts, squashes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, turnips, watercress, yams, zucchini, veggie burgers are an option if you are not allergic to soy.
These can be brown rice, millet, quinoa, oats, barley, grits, tortillas and popcorn. Avoid refined and processed food products including but not limited to artificial flavorings, food additives, chemicals, white rice, white flour and foods that contain artificial preservatives.
4. NUTS & SEEDS
These can include, but not limited to sunflower seeds, cashews, peanuts, sesame seeds. Also nut butters including peanut butter.
5. BEANS & PEAS (LEGUMES)
These can be canned or dried. Beans and peas include but are not limited to dried beans, pinto beans, split peas, lentils, black eyed peas, kidney beans, black beans, cannellini beans and white beans.
6. QUALITY OILS
These can include, but not limited to olive, canola, grape seed, avocado and sesame. Avoid solid fats including shortening, margarine, lard and foods high in fat.
These can include spring water, distilled water or other pure waters, as well as, herbal teas, vegetable juice and fruit juice. Avoid coffee, carbonated beverages, juices with high sodium content, energy drinks, southern tea and alcohol.
These can include almond and soy products, apple cider vinegar, herbs and spices, as well as vegan butter and vegan eggs.
These can include maple syrup, stevia, organic molasses and honey. Avoid white sugar, raw sugar, corn syrups and cane juice.
10. NO MEAT: Avoid meat and animal products including but not limited to beef, lamb, pork, poultry and fish.
11. NO DAIRY: Avoid dairy products including but not limited to milk, cheese, cream and butter.
12. NO WHEAT: Avoid all wheat, baked goods and leavened bread including Ezekiel Bread (it contains yeast and honey).
13. NO FRIED FOOD: Avoid deep fried foods, including but not limited to potato chips, French fries, corn chips.
If you need to keep your protein up, then eat vegetable protein sources including
- pea protein,
- bone broth,
- vegan protein as well as
- nutritional yeast
Nutritional Yeast is an inactive yeast that has no leavening agent (making it approved for the Daniel Fast). Additionally, it's a popular supplement with vegetarians and vegans because it has a significant amount of plant-based protein. Can be added to smoothies, soups, recipes as well as sprinkled on vegetable and grain dishes.
15. ALL LIQUID FAST
If you choose an all liquid fast, then this can include vegetable and fruit smoothies, bone broth soups or the maple detox drink.
- DAILY SERVING ~ Drink 3 quarts of water, 1 cup of lemon juice, 1 cup of pure grade B maple syrup, and if possible, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
- SINGLE SERVING ~ 1 cup of water, 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of pure grade B maple syrup, and if possible 1/10 of a teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
WHY WE FAST
fasting & prayer SCRIPTURES
Fasting can deepen your prayer life, your ability to hear God's direction and your bodies ability to heal. It increases discipline, self-control and spiritual strength.
- Matt 17:20-21 ~ So Jesus said to them, “Because of your unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. 21 However, this KIND does not go out except by prayer and fasting.”
- Psalm 23 ~ All my needs are met
- Psalm 91 ~ I am protected
- Psalms 145:18 ~ Call on the name of the Lord, He is with you
- Rom 8:28 ~ And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
SCRIPTURES ABOUT FASTING:
- Isaiah 58:6-8 ~ Through fasting and generosity God will meet my needs
- Matthew 6:16-18 ~ Fast in secret
- Joel 1:14, 2:12 ~ Fast as a group
- Acts 13:3, 14:23 ~ Fast for instruction and direction
SCRIPTURES ABOUT PRAYER:
- 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 ~ Prayer is my weapon
- James 5:16 ~ Prayer and confession yields power
- Matthew 21:21-22 ~ Godly prayer and faith will get results
- Luke 18:1 ~ Always pray, never give up
- 1 Peter 3:7 ~ Husbands, understand and honor your wives, that’s one way to get your prayers answered
- 1 Timothy 2:1-2 ~ Pray for others, especially those in authority
- 2 Corinthians 1:11 ~ Praying for others really helps
- Ephesians 6:18 ~ Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion
- 2 Chron 7:14 ~ Humble yourself and pray